Keep an earthquake preparedness kit on hand. Include the following:
- Food and water – at minimum, a 3 day supply (a 7 day supply is ideal)
- First Aid kit and First Aid manual
- Large and small heavy-duty plastic bags, duct tape and scissors
- Extra prescriptions and eyewear
- Heavy-duty shoes and gloves
- Extra clothing, and a whistle
- Rescue tools
- Portable TV and/or radio with extra batteries
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- Cash (ATMs and credit cards may not work)
- Emergency Phone List, including family at work, school, daycare, etc.
- Long-distance message check-in phone number
- Cell phone
During an Earthquake
Most earthquake-induced injuries are caused by falling objects or debris that has become dislodged by the quake. During an earthquake, please observe the following:
- Remain calm, do not panic.
- Stay in the office area.
- Take cover under tables, desks, or strong doorways.
- Keep away from windows and glass doors.
- Keep clear of filing cabinets, shelves and tall stacks of materials.
- Check for any injured personnel and administer first aid where necessary.
- Floor Wardens should assess damage and injuries and be prepared to expedite evacuation of serious cases.
- In the event of a fire resulting from an earthquake, follow the fire emergency procedures.